Is there anything worse than getting hurt at work? Have you injured your mind, body, emotions, or reputation? These all point to a personal injury claim. To be successful at filing a personal injury claim, you will need to avoid making certain mistakes.
Minhas Lawyers are here to help you when you need them. Let them guide you through your personal injury claim so you can avoid the mistakes listed below.
Avoid These Common Mistakes
All too often, people make the same mistakes when it comes to submitting a personal injury claim.
- Wait too long: This is the most common mistake. You need to seek medical help immediately, no matter what type of personal injury it is. Once you are treated, follow the doctor’s advice. There can be limits on the length of time you can report after sustaining an injury. Adjusters look for gaps in injury and treatments.
- Lie: There is no need to lie. You are dealing with experts, so being truthful about the extent of your injuries is the best way to get compensation. Speak the truth about injury, treatment, and how it happened. Don’t lie to your insurance company. If your insurance company uncovers a lie, your claim can be denied and you can potentially face insurance fraud. Take photos of things like your injury and the place it occurred so you have proof.
- Use Social Media: Jumping on social media to discuss your injury or claim can hurt your case. Although social media is great to keep in touch with family and friends, it is also a way insurance adjusters can find information on you and your injury.
- Ignore Medical Advice: When you are treated for your injury, listen to the doctor. Take the medication you are given, follow any recovery program the doctor suggests, go for appointments and checkups, and do the physiotherapy you are required to do. This is for your own good, but it is good for your claim as well. It shows what you needed due to the injury, and the severity of the injury.
- Don’t Have Legal Representation: Signing a legal document like a contract or release of liability without an attorney can be a mistake. Your attorney will know if the settlement offered is less than what you could have recovered through a lawsuit. Your lawyer or attorney can explain the documents you are signing so you receive compensation. Insurance may not offer enough to cover medical expenses.
What do you need to make a personal claim?
You will need four documents to begin your personal injury claim.
- You will need proof of what caused the accident
- Your personal identification
- Medical reports/evidence of your injuries
- Proof and records of expenses you have incurred
If you have suffered a personal injury and wish to make a claim, do not hesitate to contact Minhas Lawyers for guidance. Our lawyers are ready and willing to answer all your questions and get you the compensation you deserve. Personal injury claims don’t have to be stressful, and our experienced team will look out for you and your claim.
Minhas Lawyers LLP is a multi-practice law firm based in Mississauga. We advise and represent clients across various segments and practice areas.
Follow Us On
Monday – Friday:
9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday:
Book Appointments Only
Phone and Fax